Problem with tkFileDialog.askdirectory(), Windows, and non-ascii paths

Read Roberts rroberts at adobe.com
Fri Oct 8 01:33:05 EDT 2004

I have the current Windows binary install of Python 2.3.4 on my
Windows XP system.

I am pained to discover that  tkFileDialog.askdirectory() returns  a
mangled path when a directory is selected which has non-ascii Unicode
path, as in Kanji characters, i.e. the usull "????" in place of the
original UTF-8 code points.  .

After some time spent Google'ing. I don't find a discussion of this.
Is there some option  or configuration change I can make to fix this?
I can roll my own file-dialog , but I prefer to re-use code.