Recursive function to develop permutations

Steve Goldman steve_g at ix.netcom.com
Wed Oct 20 22:43:31 EDT 2004

Thanks to everyone for lots to think about.  I really like the concept of
counting in base "X" as a model for this problem.

But now I have another question.  In the elegant recursive generator, below,
the yield expression for the terminating condition is followed by a return
statement.  Why is that necessary?  I know it is, because I tried taking it
out with unhappy consequences.   I thought yield had the same effect as
return, except that the function's state was "frozen" until the next
iteration.

Thanks again.