UML tool for Python

Stephen Waterbury golux at comcast.net
Sun Oct 24 06:44:48 EDT 2004

Andre Meyer wrote:
> Hy Pythoneers
>
> Is there a UML tool that generates Python code? Maybe even
> reverse-engineer the design from code?
>
> Ideally it would integrate with Eclipse and PyDev. I have found ArgoUML
> to be quite nice, but it lacks both of these features that I have
> already suggested as new features. I doubt, however, that they will do
> this given the fact that Eclipse has its own tool framework.

If you're open to COTS, Object Domain can both forward- and
reverse-engineer Python code (it is written in Java).  I've
used it successfully for relatively simple code, and it seems
to work well and be a reasonably well-designed tool.
http://www.objectdomain.com

I don't know of any other UML tool that has those features.

Also, amongst its features:
"Full Python source code for documentation and glossary
generation is included allowing customization and extension."
I haven't experimented with that, though.

Steve