OT: Interesting coding idea

Malcolm malcolm at 55bank.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Oct 24 04:22:31 EDT 2004

"Bruno R. Dias" <bruno at octantis.com.br> wrote

> >>And what about a fictional computer, such as one that works on an
> >>entirely different way (such as a non-binary computer)?
>
> It would be *programmed* in a language, obviously. It's just that C is
> rather appropriate for that kind of stuff, It's one of my favorite
> languages, and It's a subject that should interest C programmers. The
> same goes for Python.

Just because a program could be implemented in C doesn't make it on-topic
for comp.lang.c. However "is C the the most appropriate language for this
program?" is probably topical.

There are plenty of emulators out there, an emulator is not an especially
difficult program to write, and it is often useful. For instance if you want
to play 80's vintage Spectrum games from the comfort of your PC it is
possible using emulation software and program dumps (it is illegal to sell
such dumps unless you own the copyright, it is OK to make a copy of a game
you own for personal use, taking a copy from a friend without payment is a
grey area).

An interesting project would be a Fibonnaci computer. Instead of using a
exponent-based system (binary, decimal, hex etc) you represent numbers as
Fibonnaci sequences. This has some interesting properties, for instance
there are never two consecutive 1s in a valid number.