Linksys Router & Python

Brad Tilley bradtilley at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 10:21:17 EDT 2004

Probably a stupid question, but here goes:

Is there any way to get a scaled down version of Python onto a Linksys
Wireless router? Are there any projects out there that are doing this?
I've googled around a bit, but didn't find much. I want to keep the
router's software as it is, but I also would like to have some scripting
abilities on it as well (like email the router's IP addy every x hours),
etc.

I have scripts that run on my computers that do this sort of thing.

def url_open():
     """ Function that gets and returns the IP addy
     of my Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless DSL router."""
     import urllib, re
     ip = re.compile ('\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}')
     f = urllib.urlopen("http://user:passwd@192.168.1.1/RouterStatus.htm")
     data = f.read()
     f.close()
     routerip = ip.findall(data)
     print routerip[0]
     return routerip[0]

But, when I leave town for vacation, I don't like leaving a computer
running. If I could get the interpreter embedded in the device itself,
then that would solve the problem.

This is probably a shot in the dark, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks,
Brad