Some notes

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Wed Oct 13 05:30:11 EDT 2004

Josiah Carlson wrote in message news:<mailman.4796.1097630951.5135.python-list at python.org> :

>Or perhaps later you will understand why some of the things you
stated are not applicable.<

Sure, but sometimes outsiders can see some things better.

>not some Windows-only toolkit that doesn't quite have critical mass.<

Maybe Gui4cli code will be released, etc. (wxPython is much more
powerful than Gui4cli-like solutions, so they don't compete, they can
be for different purposes).

>In Py3k, tabs are not going to be allowed as indentation to Python
code.<

Good.

>Colons are a very important delimiter for Python now, and removing
them just makes the syntax more ambiguous for both reading and for
interpreting.<

I've heard similar comments about the leading whitespace used to
determine the grouping of statements.
I keep forgetting those colons, I think they are useful mostly for one
liners, like:
if <cond>: <code>
for c in string: <code>

>Becoming more like Mathematica is not something one should hope for.<

Mathematica is a good and powerful language, with a good design (older
maybe). I see many similarities between Python and Mathematica, and
such similarities seem to increase with time. (I know, Python is OO
and Mathematica usually isn't. But Mathematica can be used as a
functional language, etc.)

>(I can't believe I am replying to someone with the email address
'bearophile')<

I am learning, like everybody else.

Thank you,
a bear hug,