globally available objects

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Oct 29 13:57:49 EDT 2004

"Steve" <lonetwin at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:5a309bd304102903342ca264f2 at mail.gmail.com...
> I would like to create an object while importing a module only the
> first time it get's imported. I wonder imports already work in this
> manner.

As Diez said, yes.  From the viewpoint of Python code, a module is a Python
object.  It particular, it is (has?) a separate namespace.  A module import
statement is an abbreviated assignment statement.  It binds the object to
the name indicated -- either its default 'fetch' name or the 'as' name.  So

import math as m
m == __import__('math')

are identical in effect.  If -- and only if -- the interpreter cannot find
a module associated with that fetch name in its private dictionary of
fetchname,module pairs (which CPython exposes as sys.modules), then it
looks and executes code associated with that name.  The behind-the-scene
details are implementation and version specific.

Even if you delete the association produced by import, the module object
remains, ready to be reimported into any other module.  To force the
interpreter to recreate the module from code, you need an explicit reload
statement.

Terry J. Reedy