OT: Ruby programmers use Python (was Re: ruby on rails ... python on ?)

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at uci.edu
Sun Oct 31 12:45:55 EST 2004

Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:

> Josiah Carlson wrote:
> > You'll notice a project linked from the RubyOnRails site: Basecamp
> > (www.basecamphq.com), which looks quite spiffy.
>
> Spiffy indeed!
>
> (I'm sure there's an obvious answer, but I'm curious why
> they didn't use Basecamp instead of Trac for their bug tracker...)

This is what I can tell (in the 5 minutes reading their web sites):

1. Trac was implemented when they started RubyOnRails, so they used it
because it fit with what they were doing.
2. RubyOnRails was developed.
3. Someone implemented Basecamp using RubyOnRails as a framework.

You can't really build an application before you build a framework, and
switching project management is, from what I hear, quite a bitch.

 - Josiah