Database Connectivity

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Wed Oct 6 13:39:15 EDT 2004

Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> writes:

> On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 04:48:40 GMT, Dennis Lee Bieber
> <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> declaimed the following in comp.lang.python:
>
> 	Talking to myself... <G>
> >
> > 	Access, itself, is merely a GUI builder front-end. You are
> > likely using M$ JET as the database engine.
> >
> 	"Likely" as the newer Access versions (Office2000+) can be used
> as a front-end for M$ SQL Server/MSDE (I can't recall if MSDE was
> supplied with O2000 Premium, it was with VB6 Pro).
>
> (MSDE being sort of a single-user SQL Server development engine --
> limited to ~2GB per database, like JET is, and to only 5 concurrent
> queries)

If I recall correctly, it's not actually limited to 5 concurrent
connections, but there is a performance limiter that kicks in after
that point to slow it down :-)

But it has something to do with active requests, so I believe you
could have any number of connections, and probably not hit performance
issues unless more than 5 of them were actively trying to do something
at the same time.

-- David