Dynamically Generating a Graph in Python

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 4 13:35:11 EDT 2004

>>>>> "HansWL" == HansWL  <HansWL at msn.com> writes:

    HansWL> Very likely, but I do not know what.

It looks like you've tried all the obvious stuff.   When you say you
switched between numarray and Numeric, I assume you mean you changed
the numerix setting in your rc file, correct?

It would be interesting to know where this performance hit is coming
from.  What happens if you set backend : TkAgg and interactive : True
in your rc file, and then fire up a standard python shell

>>> from matplotlib.matlab import *
>>> t = arange(0.01, 2.0, 0.01)
>>> s = sin(2*pi*t)
>>> figure(1)
>>> plot(t,s)

In interactive mode, all the plotting commands are acted upon when
they are issued, which should enable you to debug which of these
commands, if any, causes the long delay.

The other thing I wonder about is, is it possible that Norton is doing
some checks on python or some of the extension code that could be
causing the long startup time.  Does it help to turn off the virus
software?

Cheers,
JDh