Include pysqlite2 into Python 2.5?

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 22 05:29:25 EDT 2004

Simon Brunning <simon.brunning at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 00:33:34 +0200, Alex Martelli <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Young and idealistic, I assume.  Care to name two more SQL engines
> > accepting exactly the same dialect as sqlite...?-)
>
> Err, well, idealistic, perhaps. ;-)
>
> In practice, as you say, you often have to tweak your SQL for
> different engines. But you really can minimise this by sticking to the
> basics. Joe Celko's "I Will Never Have To Port This Code: Debunking
> shortcuts and SQL myths"[1] is worth a look, but I can speak from

Tx, I love Celko's writing (and speaking) and I'll be sure to read it.

> experience here. I'm working on a system where we mirror parts of an
> iSeries DB2 database down to SQL Server. I can and do write even
> fairly complex queries that work on both.
>
> Eventually.

My hat's off to you.  In my experience the only decent solution is
always, in the end, to write a "RDBMS engine portability layer" with
"higher level" operations mapping down to subtly different (or sometimes
not so subtly) SQL code.  But maybe this just means I'm not as good as I
thought at writing good, portable, efficient SQL...

Alex