understanding generators and functions with arguments

Mon Oct 11 22:38:05 EDT 2004

caw at southernhealth.org.au wrote:
> def msg(text):
>     def decorate(f):
>         def new_f(*args):
>             print text, f(*args)
>         return new_f
>     return decorate
>
> @msg("Hello, ")
> def f1(s):
>     return s
> I don't understand the scope of *args, as seen in the argument list of
> new_f. It doesn't appear to be in the static scope of msg, or decorate
> or new_f...
OK, I would probably write this as:
     def msg(text):
         def decorate(f):
             def new_f(*args, **kwargs):
                 print text, f(*args, **kwargs)
             return new_f
         return decorate

That is, the *args in your example, and my "*args, **kwargs" are both
meant to represent the parameters passed to the "wrapped" function f.
My example would allow a line in the main section:

     f1(s=42)

while your form would fail on that call.

-Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org