End of file

Nick Craig-Wood nick at craig-wood.com
Fri Oct 8 03:29:57 EDT 2004

Alex Martelli <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >     sentinel = []
>
>  It's fine, but I would still suggest using the Canonical Pythonic Way To
>  Make a Sentinel Object:
>
>      sentinel = object()
>
>  Since an immediate instance of type object has no possible use except as
>  a unique, distinguishable placeholder, ``this thing here is a sentinel''.

Yes a good idiom which I didn't know (still learning) - thanks!

This only works in python >= 2.2 according to my tests.

Its also half the speed and 4 times the typing

  $ /usr/lib/python2.3/timeit.py 'object()'
  1000000 loops, best of 3: 0.674 usec per loop
  $ /usr/lib/python2.3/timeit.py '[]'
  1000000 loops, best of 3: 0.369 usec per loop

But who's counting ;-)