By value or by reference?

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at uci.edu
Tue Oct 19 13:32:58 EDT 2004

> > I agree with most everything you have said, though consider the pointer
> > vs. value of C to define the semantics of the passing.  That is, if you
> > get a pointer in C, it is by reference.  If you don't get a pointer, it
> > is by value.
>
> I disagree: you get the value of the pointer.  If you assign to the
> barename of the pointer, this has no effect on the caller.

[snip the remainder of the email]

Sounds good.  Now with the semantic arguments out of the way, is there a
link where the equivalent of what was just said is available in the
documentation?

If yes, great.  If not, perhaps what has been discussed should be
slimmed down and inserted into the FAQ so that future generations don't
need to rehash this conversation.

 - Josiah