Memory grows (without bound); doesn't if code is in function

jepler at unpythonic.net jepler at unpythonic.net
Tue Oct 5 17:46:56 EDT 2004

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 11:15:27PM +0200, Irmen de Jong wrote:
> Weird. This program runs fine on my systems (win xp and mandrake-linux 10.0,
> both usig python 2.3.4 ... using about 3.5 to 4mb memory.)
> Perhaps it's a python 2.3.2 thing that was fixed in 2.3.3 or 2.3.4?

Yep, I can't reproduce the behavior on 2.3.3 (Fedora Core 2).  I guess
I should have checked.

The only thing I can think of that might be relevant is
	A subtle change to the semantics of the built-in function
	intern(): interned strings are no longer immortal. You must keep a
	reference to the return value intern() around to get the benefit.
(if the numbers produced by str() were interned) but this change was in
2.3.2's news file, not 2.3.3.

Jeff