Tkinter and utf-8

Justin Ezequiel jezequiel at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 01:59:38 EDT 2004

Dirk Thierbach writes:

> xlsfonts -lll -fn '*iso10646*' | grep 0x17f
>
> to see all the metrics for LATIN SMALL LETTER LONG S. If any of these
> have non-zero metrics, the character is available. Inspect the full
> output to find the complete font name, and use 'xfd' to display the
> font. On my system, for example, all *misc* fonts have this character,
> but the *helvetica* fonts don't.

Thanks, I will try this.

> Finally, you have to make sure Tk uses the fonts. IIRC Tkinter allows
> you to access the Tk option database, so set the font options
> with X-style names. That should do the trick, but I didn't check.

Will have to research how this is done.
Thanks again.

BTW, in the meantime, I've copied and installed 'Arial Unicode MS' from my
WinXP box.
Explicitly telling Tkinter to use that font seems to work just find here on my
Mandrake box but I am uneasy about the legality of this.