(python), uid 80: exited on signal 11

Ksenia Marasanova ksenia at ksenia.nl
Thu Oct 28 12:02:45 EDT 2004

Hi,

I have few Python cgi scripts on the server (FreeBSD 4.9) for sending
email from plain HTML websites.
Few days ago I added database backup functionality to it, by saving
emails into the database (psycopg + PostgreSQL).
Since then nasty messages like this sometimes appear in daily security
log:

> pid 6926 (python), uid 80: exited on signal 11

I searched Apache log and found indeed 500 errors for those requests
("premature end of script headers"). So script died very early for some
reason. But why signal 11? I googled and found mentions of bad hardware
and security holes. I am quite sure there is nothing wrong with the
hardware, however. And the scripts were working just fine before the
modification.

Probably the shortest solution would be to convert all those scripts to
Quixote (that I use for all other sites). But I am just curious what
that signal 11 means.

Thanks!
Ksenia.