Database Connectivity

Aaron Bingham bingham at cenix-bioscience.com
Tue Oct 5 09:06:18 EDT 2004

Sandeep Avinash Gohad wrote:

>Hi
>
>I want to develope a simple Database connectivity program with python.
>I want to use MS Access as a backend.
>Please guide me....
>If any e-books,links available particularly for database connectivity
>then please let me know
>
>Regards
>Sandeep

First, consider if you really want to use MS Access for this.  In my
experience, this is mostly asking for trouble as Access is poorly
documented and has many bugs and misfeatures you will waste your time
working around.  In addition, Access DBs are prone to corruption if
accessed by many users at once.  PostgreSQL is a much more powerful
alternative, and version 8.0, coming soon, will run natively on
Windows.  Of course, it is not as "user friendly" in the sense of having
pretty GUI tools, but since it sounds like you will be writing the GUI
in Python anyway, this may not matter.

If you are going to use Access, Python Programming on Win32 by Mark
Hammond and Andy Robinson is an essential reference.

Aaron