Turning a string into an programatic mathematical expression

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Oct 19 22:46:06 EDT 2004

Daniel Bickett wrote:

> The title really says it all. I'm trying to take input from a user
> (intended to be a mathematical expression), from a text box for
> example, and evaluate it mathematically within the program. For
> clarification: the user inputs the string "4*5(3-3)", I would be
> interested in a straight-forward way to find the result of that, based
> only on a string. The follow-up question would be how to incorporate
> variables into the mix, however I'll leave it at that for now. Thanks
> for your time :)
>
> Daniel Bickett

Well, you can simply use input(), a horrendously dangerous function that
was designed (if that's the right word) in less security-minded times to
allow users to enter expressions which would be made available to the
program:

 >>> print input("What: ")
What: 4*5*(3-3)
0
 >>> print input("What: ")
What: 24+35/7
29

Don't know whether this will help. It's also possible to use variables
in your expressions:

 >>> a=33
 >>> b=15.5
 >>> print input("What: ")
What: a/b
2.12903225806

Note that the inputs must be valid Python expressions, which
unfortunately removes the possiblity of your implied multiplication:

 >>> print input("What: ")
What: 4*5(3-3)
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
   File "<string>", line 0, in ?
TypeError: 'int' object is not callable

If this isn't going to help you then I'm afraid you'll have to get down
and dirty by parsing the expressions and evaluating them in detail.

regards
  Steve
--
http://www.holdenweb.com