Python and C#

Larry Bates lbates at syscononline.com
Mon Oct 4 12:46:21 EDT 2004

 > Looking for advice on this as a course of action.  Obviously,
> I'm not doing this for fun, but for some reasons that are
> supported by base workaday considerations.  Will this work?
> What are the biggest hassles in making it work?  Any
> pitfalls?

Sure this will work.  You can call COM server code from Python
no matter what the COM server is written in.  I've written
COM servers in Python and called from Python, VB, PowerBuilder,
etc.  I've also called COM servers written in other languages.

> If I get this to work well, next I want to make it easy for
> users to install and run the apps.  I haven't tried to
> package any python apps in about a year.  Which packaging
> package is better now for this -- py2exe, McMillan's, or
> something else?  I want the end-users with no python on
> their Windows machine to run a simple and non-descript
> installer and then be up and running with my app, no
> problems.

I like the combination of py2exe and Inno Setup.  py2exe
create standalone code and Inno to create a distributable
installer.

HTH,
Larry Bates
Syscon, Inc.