scripting languages vs statically compiled ones

kosh kosh at aesaeion.com
Thu Oct 28 14:12:00 EDT 2004

On Thursday 28 October 2004 11:04 am, beliavsky at aol.com wrote:

> Language       Type of Language     Execution Time Relative to C++
> C++            compiled             1
> Visual Basic   compiled             1
> C#             compiled             1
> Java           byte code            1.5
> PHP            interpreted          >100
> Python         interpreted          >100

My problem with these kinds of numbers is that they illustrate the whole
problem of lies, damned lies and statistics. The numbers are probably fairly
close to accurate but also not even in the right universe. In various
benchmarks c,c++ etc are typically always faster then python programs by a
huge ammount but remember that benchmarks are also very short overall and are
very time intensive over those lines of code. On a regular application there
is no time to do the kind of optimizations that you see in these benchmarks
and if you tried the product would be far too late.

Lets say that python is 5x more productive then c just for the sake of
arguement. So if the project took 2 months in python it would be 10 months in
c. Now when it comes to optimization you have about 5x the code in the c
version compared to the python version. So it is easier to profile and fix
problems in the python version by a large margin however more important is
fixing design errors. Because the code is much shorter in python and simpler
overall it makes it easier to identify, see and fix design errors.

My experience has been is that while c,c++ etc are faster then python in
regular applications I work with python is almost always a good deal faster.

> I think Python is slower than C++ or Fortran for number-crunching,
> based on some experience with Numeric, but the speed factor is more
> often in the range of 2-10, not >100. McConnell's benchmarks are more
> general. I doubt the assertion that VB is as fast C++. Replacing a VBA
> function in Excel with a C dll can lead to big increase in speed.

I agree that replacing a single function with c and give an increase in speed
and that there are classes of things that we have libraries for which give
large increases in speed however the point is that all of those things can be
called from python easily. So why write an entire program in a lower level
language like c,c++, java, c# etc when you can write it in python in far less
time? One the python version is done you can profile it, fix speed problems,
debug it etc using far less resources. Once you have done all of that you can
first use libraries if they exist to speed up  your program if still needed,
code parts in a lower level language now that  you know exactly where the
speed issues are or use something like psyco. Overall your programs will be
far shorter, easier to read, easier to maintain, easier to debug, and just as
fast if not faster. In my view just about anything other then a kernel or a
device driver is premature optimization to write in a low level language
barring other contraints.