Reclaiming (lots of) memory

Thomas Rast foo.bar at freesurf.ch.invalid
Mon Oct 4 16:21:21 EDT 2004

Nick Craig-Wood <nick at craig-wood.com> writes:

> Paul Rubin <> wrote:
> >  But I think it used much more than 4 MB of memory if you count the
> >  amount of system cache that held that dbm file.
>
> The dbm file is only 10 MB though, so thats 10MB of memory extra used
> which *is* reclaimable!

Just to clear this up, the problem isn't that the process takes too
much memory while initializing.  The machine that runs it has 256MB
RAM, and for all I care it can fill all available memory (when the
logfiles have grown to about four times what they are today, it
will...).  The problem was that it wouldn't free *unused* RAM after
initialization.

Anyway, it works now.  Thanks for your help Nick and Paul!

- Thomas

--
If you want to reply by mail, substitute my first and last name for
'foo' and 'bar', respectively, and remove '.invalid'.