New to Python: Features

Andrew Dalke adalke at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 5 02:37:30 EDT 2004

Josiah Carlson wrote:

>>I'd like to store function and variables and of course objects in a form
>>that can be easily read back into the program/script.
>

> Functions, no (security risk).

Yet somehow Python functions are serialized in a .pyc file.  ;)

It really depends on what the OP wants, but he doesn't
provide enough for us to know what problem he's trying to
solve, as compared to what technique he things is needed
to solve that problem.

For instance, writing a .py file lets you "store function and
variables ... in a form that can be easily read back ..."

> Anything that you would want to do with a static typed language, can be
> done with Python.

What about compile-time template metaprogramming like C++?
Parameterizing a list so that it only accepts ints?

Sorry, I'm being too much of a stickler now trying to
prove my point that many of these are non-trivial topics
that cannot by easily answered without basically redoing
work already done to create the documentation.

				Andrew
				dalke at dalkescientific.com