Encouraging Python adoption in your organization

Neil Benn benn at cenix-bioscience.com
Mon Oct 4 09:55:23 EDT 2004

Ian J Cottee wrote:

> Daniel Dittmar wrote:
>
>> On the other hand, Paul Graham paints Java programmers as dimwits. So
>> quoting him is likely to start a flamewar. This is perhaps not the
>> best choice from a diplomatic point of view.
>

> That is not what he said or meant. As he himself clarifies:
>
> """In a recent talk I said something that upset a lot of people: that
> you could get smarter programmers to work on a Python project than you
> could to work on a Java project.
>
> I didn't mean by this that Java programmers are dumb. I meant that
> Python programmers are smart. It's a lot of work to learn a new
> programming language. And people don't learn Python because it will
> get them a job; they learn it because they genuinely like to program
> and aren't satisfied with the languages they already know.
>
> Which makes them exactly the kind of programmers companies should want
> to hire. Hence what, for lack of a better name, I'll call the Python
> paradox ... """
>
> http://www.paulgraham.com/pypar.html
>
> Ian

Hello,

You can quote it in different ways :

---
But when you choose a language, you're also choosing a community. The
programmers you'll be able to hire to work on a Java project won't be as
smart <http://www.paulgraham.com/pypar.html> as the ones you could get
to work on a project written in Python
---

This is from his _own_website - he then follows it up with :

---
Though, frankly, the fact that good hackers prefer Python to Java should
tell you something about the relative merits of those languages.
---

Next we have :

---
And of all the great programmers I can think of who don't work for Sun,
on Java, I know of zero.
---

    On the retract posted above :

---
It's a lot of work to learn a new programming language.
--

    The response on this would be - 'but you just told me that python is
'easy to learn''.

    Although that was probably retracted afterwards - the fact that that
quote exists will be picked up people.  I'm not insulting the quality of
writing as it is a very well written article - it just isn't gonna help
anyone trying to advocate python in a sensible business, that kind of
retort sounds like an American election campaign!!

Cheers,

Neil

--

Neil Benn