Python in Process Control?

F. GEIGER f.geiger at vol.at
Wed Oct 6 12:51:49 EDT 2004

I'm in the process of writing a Waterjet Control in Python (progress is
slow, 'cause I do it in my spare time). Again and again I am considering to
go the open source route with it. Until now I didn't dare to do so, because
still I cannot see how I could earn my living with open source software.
That's probably the reason, why I again and again postponed to ask here,
whether anyone would be interested in such a thing and helping to work on
such a thing resp.

As I intend to build an OPC server into "my product" (but have no idea how
to do that), I was triggered by this thread, as you guess. Perhaps this is
the right time to at least show interest in

- using an OPC server written in Python,
- helping out in working on it (well, I am an application programmer, so I
don't know if writing an OPC server would be beyond my capabilities),
- and to contribute application code for standard process control modules,
if such modules are planned (for now my app is written in wx/Python, can
load programs and check 'em for proper syntax; a dummy nc-processor
processes is and displays the jet movements in an PyOpenGL window).

The last point is probably also not an easy one, because each and every app
is different from the other. So what could standard app modules be?

Anyway, on interest I'll write up what I have so far (architecture, hardware
plan to use, screenshots) and load it up to my server.

Kind regards
Franz GEIGER

news:joztfie8fghq.fdfzxi3urxbg$.dlg at 40tude.net...