New to Python: Features

Richard Blackwood richardblackwood at cloudthunder.com
Tue Oct 5 11:13:28 EDT 2004

Alex Martelli wrote:

>Josiah Carlson <jcarlson at uci.edu> wrote:
>

>>Had you read the tutorial, you would discover the answers to all of
>>these questions, but I'll answer them anyways.
>>

>I don't think the tutorial answers all these questions, by a long shot;
>this looks to me like a school assignment intended to force a student to
>spend at least 2-3 days looking for the many answers (it also looks like
>the questions are generic, using terminology that's not appropriate to a
>specific language, Python in particular -- this reinforces the
>impression that this is a school assignment, rather than specific
>interest in Python in particular on Mr Blackwood's part).

No, the tutorial does not and no, this is not a *school* assignment.
Grief, like I said, I haven't been in school since 1976.  Plus, how many
schools (I assume you mean like a university or something) teach Python?

>Fortunately, Josiah, some of your answers are in good part debatable,
>arguable, or imprecise enough that, if Mr Blackwood simply copies all of
>them, while he will (arguably undeservedly... unless getting somebody
>else to do your homework is a skill deserving recognition, today...;-)
>get a passing grade, it should not be a _good_ grade, at least.  If he
>cares about his GPA he'll still have to do research to check up each of
>the answers you have supplied!-)

My GPA was 3.7x (where the x is some number I don't remember) and has
long been ironed in, immutable.

>>Next time, read the damn documentation.
>>

>Why should he, if he can shirk the work and find others willing to do it
>on his behalf?-)
>

>Alex

I didn't see anything in the docs on how to use modules as variables,
passing and producing them to and from functions.