webserverless Python Wiki Engines: do they exists?

Peter L Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Oct 7 06:51:20 EDT 2004

Brian van den Broek wrote:
> I'm looking for a stand alone Python wiki engine that does not require a
> web server such as Apache or MS IIS. I have found such beasts in other
> languages (e.g. <http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?EddiesWiki> in C++, and a couple
> in Ruby), but none written in Python. A pointer to any that I've missed
> would be most appreciated.
>
> To give some idea of my requirements: Python is the only programming
> language that I know anything to speak of, and my skills are modest.
> (Python is a thesis procrastination projec and I've done no web
> programming to date.) I have an itch in the PIM domain, and I am wanting
> to find a project as a basis to build upon that is 1) appropriate in
> scope/complexity for a relative newcomer and 2) would enable me to have
> a personal wiki (not exposed to the web). I am running WindowsMe, and
> Python 2.3.4. I don't mind if I have to get some extra packages, but I
> definitely don't want to have to come to terms with something like Zope.
> (One day, perhaps, but not too soon.)
>
> If there were one that used ReStructuredText for markup, that would be
> great. But at this point, I think I'd be better off not restricting the
> pool :-)

Although I'm not yet sure (not having examined the source) whether
it would be suitable for you given your constraints above, you
might at least compare Trac (http://www.edgewall.com/products/trac/)
in terms of capability and approach.  It was not at all easy for
me to install on Linux, but that's largely my own fault and not
an inherent problem with the tool.  Furthermore it has a standalone
server mode that was added in recent versions (but may not be 100%
complete... check the CHANGELOG or something for notes).

I suspect the standalone Moin-moin approach would be best, though
I believe at least one of the other lightweight ones is able to
run standalone.

You *have* see http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WikiEngines, haven't you?
It identifies those that are in Python and standalone...

-Peter