Outputting to specific sound channels?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Oct 1 09:24:25 EDT 2004

Peter L Hansen wrote:

> Steve Holden wrote:
>
>> Peter L Hansen wrote:
>>
>>> Come on, Steve, haven't you ever seen a speaker built to act
>>> bidirectionally, so it can be used both as an output or an input?
>>> They're very handy in intercom systems and are quite fun to build
>>> from scratch, for a beginner like I am. :-)
>>

>> Well I realize you know hardly anything about electronics, Peter, but
>> even you have to admit that a speaker makes a much better input
>> transducer than a microphone is likely to make an output transducer,
>> if only because of the lower power-handling capacity.
>

> Steve, Steve, you're like, what 45 or something? and your hearing
> is way too far gone to hear the output of a microphone.  The rest
> of us, us young 'uns, don't have any such troubles...  :-) :-)
>
>> I was going to add to my folly by chuntering on about electrostatic
>> microphones until I remembered that you can also buy electrostatic
>> speakers.
>

> -he's-probably-going-colour-blind-too-ly y'rs,
>  Peter

I'll have you know that my hearing is particularly acute. Comes from my
misspent youth, listening in the wee small hours of the morning for a
ten watt transmitter on the other side of the Atlantic.

In fact, I distinctly heard you smiling as you typed that last reply.

but-my-short-term-memory-is-somewhat-impaired-ly y'rs  - steve

[thinks: didn't I have somewhere to go?]