Parallelization on muli-CPU hardware?

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Tue Oct 5 12:48:14 EDT 2004

In article <fmy8d.32815$Z14.12044 at news.indigo.ie>,
Alan Kennedy  <alanmk at hotmail.com> wrote:

>I agree that it could potentially be a serious hindrance for cpython if
>"multiple core" CPUs become commonplace. This is in contrast to jython
>and ironpython, both of which support multiple-cpu parallelism.
>
>Although I completely accept the usual arguments offered in defense of
>the GIL, i.e. that it isn't a problem in the great majority of use
>cases, I think that position will become more difficult to defend as
>desktop CPUs sprout more and more execution pipelines.

Perhaps.  Then again, those pipelines will probably have their work cut
out running firewalls, spam filters, voice recognition, and so on.  I
doubt the GIL will make much difference, still.

WiFi is the SCSI of the 21st Century -- there are fundamental technical
reasons for sacrificing a goat.  (with no apologies to John Woods)