Slow debugging with Komodo

Trent Mick trentm at ActiveState.com
Mon Oct 25 19:27:46 EDT 2004

Will McGugan wrote:
>> On my dev machine (P4 1.7Ghz Win2K) debugging with Komodo is painfuly
>> slow. There is a delay of several seconds when stepping over a single
>> line of code. Debugging the same code with Pythonwin is very quick.
>> Does anyone else experience slow debugging, and is there anyway to
>> speed it up?
>

> Figured it out..
>
> I was testing Komodo 3 with the file 'xmlrpcdemo.py', and once an
> instance of xmlrpclib.Server was created and displayed in either Locals
> or the Watch tab, it slowed way down. It seems that when Komodo inspects
> this object there is network activity as it contacts the http server!
> Other scripts dont show this slowdown.

Thanks for tracking that down. Komodo's variable viewer (in the Debug
Output tab) was trying to get information about the "server" object's
attributes. "server" is an xmlrpclib.ServerProxy object. Because of
xmlrpclib.ServerProxy's __getattr__ -- which returns a remote method
callable for each call -- Komodo was unnecessarily resulting in calls to
the server. This will be fixed in the next release so that no remote
calls are made on the "server" object unless the you specifically
request this in the variable view by opening the "server" items tree
view in the "Locals" or "Globals" tabs.

Cheers,
Trent

--