GPL and Python modules.

Andrea Griffini agriff at tin.it
Tue Oct 26 16:48:06 EDT 2004

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 17:33:59 +0200, Peter Otten <__peter__ at web.de>
wrote:

>Grant Edwards wrote:
>
>> Let's say I use a GPL'd python module (e.g. something installed
>> in site-packages) in an application.
>
>I'd say everything that uses a GPL'd module is derived work and must also be
>GPL'd. It doesn't matter how you distribute it. If the module is under the
>LGPL you could use it in a closed source app but must make available any
>changes to the original module.
>
>Peter

IIUC in the case of LGPL you've also another obligation; if there
is a new version of the library then your users should be able
to link-in the newer version instead of the one you provided.
This is what IMO basically rules out any use of LGPL-ed code in
closed-source projects with a few exceptions (very very very
VERY stable libraries).
Suppose that a new version of the library changes the *interface*
of a call (this sometimes happens)... how can you be still
compliant if you're not providing the source code ? Are you
promising eternal recompilation/adaptation service ?

I also think this re-link requirement is a complete nonsense;
for example if I provide support for an application I would
surely reserve the right to refuse to provide any support in
case the user tampered the versions of the libraries provided:
break the seal, and you're on your own.

Andrea