Encouraging Python adoption in your organization

Miki Tebeka miki.tebeka at zoran.com
Mon Oct 4 01:46:20 EDT 2004

Hello Alia,

> Given this context, I'm mulling over strategies to encourage the
> productivity-enhancing benefits and 'joy' of python scripting to my
> developers. Of course, I'd rather be persuasive than coercive.
>
> Any ideas?
1. Read and memorize http://www.infoether.com/~rich/pycon2003.pdf
2. Mention "star" programmers that moved to Python:
    - Bruce Eckel: http://64.78.49.204/pub/eckel/LovePython.zip
    - Eric Raymond: http://pythonology.org/success&story=esr
    - ...
3. When asked about time estimation say something like "in C/C++/Java"
   it'll be around two weeks, in Python I can do it in less than one"
4. Be ready for talk about run time performance. Due to modern hardware
   Python is "fast enough" and you can always recode stuff in C/C++ using
   the C API or just use psyco.
   Also Mention that algorithm improvement will give the best performance
   (http://www.dadgum.com/james/performance.html)
5. "Be there first". Make a fast prototype that does most of the *visible*
   work in Python as fast as you can. This way you'll have a strong
   argument to continue with Python.

HTH.
Miki