New to Python: Features

Steven Rumbalski srumbalski at copper.net
Wed Oct 6 01:08:50 EDT 2004

Richard Blackwood wrote:

> Josiah Carlson wrote:
>
>>Had you read the tutorial, you would discover the answers to all of
>>these questions, but I'll answer them anyways.
[snipping many answers]
> I can't believe you answered all of them, thank you.   Sorry for pissing
> folks off over here.

I don't know how helpful his answers will be to you.  A computer language is
usually much more than a grab bag of features.  A well-designed language is
a constellation of features that work together to encourage an certain way
of expressing solutions to problems.

Python is a well designed language that focuses on a few simple ideas (name
semantics, dictionaries, simplicity of expression, trusting the programmer)
to make a surprisingly powerful and expressive language.

It does not take long to learn the syntax of any language.  And it is
usually immediate obvious what features are missing from your favorite
languge.  However, it usually takes much longer to understand a language's
philosophy.

--Steven Rumbalski