Is there a "Large Scale Python Software Design" ?

Andrew Dalke adalke at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 19 17:18:46 EDT 2004

Alex Martelli wrote:
> For a reasonably experienced programmer, with decent tools, and without
> hair-raising problems of deployment, optimization, continuous fast
> changes to specs, etc, etc, 10k SLOC should be within the threshold of
> "can be sensibly developed and maintained by one person"; 100k SLOC
> won't be; the threshold is somewhere in-between.

I concur.  I've seen several C++ projects developed by one
person which are bit higher than O(100,000) LOC (not SLOC).
That's about the point where it beomes unwieldy for one person
to maintain.

The only exception I've encountered is for some very long time
research projects where the software is naturally modularizable
and the developer is the sole user, so there's no external
pressure for modifying the code.

I have seen one person projects with much larger code bases
than that but only because it was using 3rd party libraries,
in effect making it a multi-person team.

				Andrew
				dalke at dalkescientific.com