Ok, I'm quite new to Python

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Tue Oct 12 21:08:00 EDT 2004

Michael wrote:

>But i'm a good c++ programmer.
>
>What i want to do is parse a text file and store the information in relevant
>fields:

Well, if you have (or know how to write) an EBNF grammar, SimpleParse
would likely be ideal for this. See the VRML97 sample grammar in
SimpleParse (or even the VRML97 loader in OpenGLContext for a more
real-world example).

Primary value of SimpleParse for this kind of thing is that it's fast
compared to most other Python parser generators while still being easy
to use.  If you're loading largish (say 10s of MBs) models the speed can
be quite useful.  (It was originally written explicitly to produce a
fast VRML97 parser (btw)).

If you're loading *huge* models (100s of MBs), you may need to go for a
C/C++ extension to directly convert from an on-disk buffer to objects,
but try it with the Python versions first.  Even with 100s of MBs, you
can write SimpleParse grammars fast enough to parse them quite quickly,
it just requires a little more care with how you structure your productions.

>but I have no idea what the best way to do this is?
>Any thoughts??

Mostly it's just a matter of what you feel comfortable with. There's
quite a range of Python text-processing tools available.  See the text
"Text Processing in Python" (available in both dead-tree and online
format) for extensive treatment of various approaches, from writing your
own recursive descent parsers through using one of the parser-generators.

Good luck,
Mike

  Mike C. Fletcher
  Designer, VR Plumber, Coder