Tracking Users By IP Address

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Thu Oct 7 18:01:25 EDT 2004

On 2004-10-07, Fuzzyman <fuzzyman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Assuming that each visitor will have a unique IP address is
> probably not 100% accurate but will have a reasonably low
> margin of error!!

Not.  A significant portion (I'd guess a vast majority) of the
machines out there have either dynamically allocated IP
addresses or are behind a proxy or NAT firewall.   Even if that
weren't true, you'd be keeping track of computers, not of
people.  I assume it's the latter that matter to you?

> Is there any reason not to use this approach ?

Because it's going to be wrong most of the time?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  ... I think I'd
                                  at               better go back to my