Mandis Quotes (aka retiring """ and ''')

Mel Wilson mwilson at the-wire.com
Tue Oct 5 16:11:56 EDT 2004

In article <4162f2c1$0$202$edfadb0f at dread12.news.tele.dk>,
Max M <maxm at mxm.dk> wrote:
>Jeff Shannon wrote:
>> Russell Nelson wrote:
>> ISTM that these
>> elaborate Mandis-quote schemes may significantly reduce the odds of
>> needing to escape a string literal, but the cost (in clarity,
>> transparency, and most importantly, ability to manipulate your code in
>> anything other than an advanced, complying editor) is pretty high.  I
>> find '''triple quotes''' a lot easier to understand/explain than this
>> scheme of defining arbitrary delimiters.
>
>In fact, the triple quotes are just special cases of the Mandis quotes,
>and would still be legal. No?
>

>'''Hello world'''

   However the sequence of distinguishing bytes making up
one end of a Mandis quote is "possibly null" (viz. original
post) so this could either mean

        "Hello world"
or
        "'Hello world'"

depending.

   When I read _The Humane User Interface_ I came away with
the impression that the UI would be great for
non-programming-users, but lousy for programming-users,
because of the meta-stuff that programmers routinely deal
with.

        Regards.        Mel.