Collating Text and Images

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Oct 28 00:40:59 EDT 2004

Greg Lindstrom wrote:

> I have an interesting problem.  I have a (one) text file containing multiple
> reports.  I have multiple TIF files, one for each page in the report file.
> What I would like to do is merge the two files into one print job so that I
> get a text page then the corresponding image, then the next text page, then
> the next corresponding image, etc.  Currently we have 2 people doing the
> collation by hand every day; this would save am immense amount of labor at
> our shop. The work is being performed on an HP-9000 running UNIX and I can
> read and process the text file, but can not figure out how to insert the
> images into the print stream.  Can anyone help me out?
>
> Greg Lindstrom                                         (501) 975-4859
> NovaSys Health                  greg.lindstrom at novasyshealth.com
>
> "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"  W.W.

The ReportLab open source kit is well capable of doing this, and will
make your reports look better as well, as long as PDF is an acceptable
output format. (You could use a fixed-pitch font if you really want the
reports to look as much as possible like they do now).

See http://www.reportlab.org/

regards
  Steve
--