Reimplenting Linux Kernel in Python

Carlos Ribeiro carribeiro at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 21:10:35 EDT 2004

> > Besides that, Linux is Posix compliant and emulates Unix
> > system calls to a large extend, and that also makes C a
> > natural choice.
>
> Not sure I follow on that point.  Any low level language that
> can deal with a C "struct" and byte-addressible memory would be
> fine.

Well, Unix itself was written in C, and a good part of the C standard
library maps naturally to (or at least helps to implement) functions
that are mandatory in a Posix-compliant OS. This does not meant that
other languages cant be used; it only means that C is a natural
choice.

Of course, you can provide a C-like interface for a Python program
(for example). But a OS written in pure Python would make a much
better use of the language if it provides a Pythonic interface. I
believe we can agree on this point, dont you think?

--
Carlos Ribeiro
Consultoria em Projetos
mail: carribeiro at gmail.com