New to Python: Features

Peter L Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Oct 5 21:33:04 EDT 2004

Carlos Ribeiro wrote:
> Kids. You should try it. When they come to you with a list of 45+
> questions about the meaning of life, the universe and everything, then
> you may be able to understand how did _we_ feel. :-)
>
> (Excuse me -- you're a retired philosophy teacher, so these questions
> must be easy for you. Sorry ;-).

Carlos, bad example!  "Meaning of life" is about the farthest
removed thing from the level of Richard's questions that you
could find.

More like this (forgive the lack of humour in a perfect
opportunity for it... it's been a long day and my brain
is doubtless too slow to make the effort effective):

Daddy, please write down answers to each of the following
questions, paying particular attention to proper English
usage and formatting, thanks:

1. Do ducks have legs?
2. Is yellow a higher or lower wavelength than green?
3. What's the airspeed of an African swallow?
    a. And an unladen one?
4. What recent attempts has the Hormel food products company
    made at restricting the use of the word Spam for unsolicited
    email?  Were they successful?  Why not?
5. Can we reach the ceiling if we jump?
6. Cement trucks
7. Where is mommy?
8. What is Google used for?
9. Show us.
10. Now.
11. What day is it today?
12. And tomorrow?
13. The day after?
14. ....

I can't go on...

Suffice to say that rather than be delighted, Richard would
be appalled at the sheer lack of functioning gray matter that
his non-existent kids were demonstrating, and he'd be back
here the next day asking us where he could find a good lawyer...
to disown them!

(As he points out in his reply, it is a quite different case.)

-Peter