pyc files located elsewhere?

Jerry Sievers jerry at jerrysievers.com
Sat Oct 16 08:35:44 EDT 2004

Greetings.

On Python 2.3.3, is there any way to have the .pyc files created
elsewhere than in the same dir as the source files?

I have an application that consists of about 30 source files including
a few packages.

I would like it if my .pyc files could be in a subdir of the app root
if possible.  I would have to make sure that the subdir structure
underneath matched the structure of the app itself.

I would also consider having each package directory have its own PYC
directory and the compiled files could go in there even.

So, can I feed a prefix to the system that checks for and creates .pyc
files somehow?  My review of the Pydocs for related compilation issues
didn't seem to turn up an answer.

Thanks.