GPL and Python modules.

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon Oct 25 14:34:35 EDT 2004

Grant Edwards wrote:
>>Why don't you just GPL the whole lot? Headache over, and a
>>warm fuzzy feeling in its place.
>

> I haven't said I won't. :) That said, providing a mechanism for
> people to get the source does impose some overhead and cost.
> And then there's the time/cost associated with supporting the
> GPL'd source code _after_ you've provided somebody with it.

You don't have to provide any mechanism, nor provide any support.  If
you are giving them .pyc files, just include the .py files as well.  You
don't even have to GPL your code, you just have to abide by the GPL
(i.e., provide source); you could distribute your code under any
GPL-compatible license, such as a BSD-style license.

All the GPL asks is that you distribute the source with the program, and
allow that source to be modified and redistributed.  Anything less is
against the spirit of the GPL, and as such against the spirit that the
original author had in mind when releasing that GPL code; you can try to
get around it, but even if it's legal it's not right.  And it's probably
not legal, since intent *does* matter.  If you don't think the GPL is
really the intent of the original author, then contact them; they may
very well be willing to relicense the code.

But as long as you don't mind people seeing, redistributing, and
modifying your source, then the GPL is not a problem, just a few extra
kilobytes in your distribution.  Well, you are also supposed to note
somewhere that the source is available under the GPL -- so an extra line
in Help>About (or something like that) should be included.