Pointer to Image

Chris Jankowski cjankowski at hbr-inc.com
Wed Oct 20 14:33:46 EDT 2004

Thomas Heller <theller at python.net> wrote in message news:<d5zesplp.fsf at python.net>...
> cjankowski at hbr-inc.com (Chris Jankowski) writes:
>
> > Hi all,
> > I am still new to using Python, so bare with me.  I am trying to call
> > a DLL from my program to use some of it's functions.  The only
> > parameter is supposed to be a pointer to an image.  I have tried
> > several variations on passing this parameter to the DLL and I am not
> > having much luck.  This is going to call other functions later for
> > OCR, but I want to get a simple one working first.
> >
> > Here is my code:  (Very basic)
> >
> > from ctypes import *
> > import Image
> >
> > myOcr = windll.LoadLibrary('ocrdll.dll') # my DLL
> >
> > mySize = myOcr.GetImgBitmapSize ## load the function
> >
> > im = Image.open('C:\\chris.tif') ## load the Image
> > print id(im)  ## for testing print address of im
> >
> > ##myFile = c_char_p(id(im))  # I have tried several variations of this
> >
> > x = mySize(myFile)  ##  Actual call to the DLL Function
> >                     ##  documentation only one parameter passed
> > pointer to Image
> >                     ##  Must be DIB Image(Device Independent Bitmap)
> >                     ##  (could this be the problem?)
> > Thanks for the help.
>
> I assume the Image function you import in the code above is from PIL?
> In this case, it cannot work.  You cannot take the address (id) of an
> arbitrary Python object, and assume that it points to C compatible data.
> Maybe you should use a function from the dll to load the image data, or
> you can read the file's bytes into python string, and pass that.
>
> Thomas

Here is what I have now.

from ctypes import *
def myOutputHandler(infotype, param):
    outputFile.write("outhandler")
    if infotype == "OT_TEXT":
        print param
##        return param
##    elif infotype == "OT_ENDL":
##        return "\n"
##    elif infotype == "OT_ENDZ":
##        return "\n\n"
    return
#***************************************************************
#* main process                                                *
#* myList - requests                                           *
#* inList - data file                                          *
#***************************************************************
if __name__ == '__main__':
    outputFile=open('c:\\newOCR.txt', 'w')
    myOcr = cdll.LoadLibrary('C:\\SimpleOCR\\ocrdll.dll')
    loadImg = myOcr.LoadMultipleImg
    x = loadImg("c:\\chris.tif")
    print x
    setLanguage = myOcr.SetLanguage
    setLanguage('ENGLISH',".")

    setOutputMode = myOcr.SetOutputMode
    setOutputMode("OM_TEXT")

    setOutputHandler = myOcr.OCRSetOutputHandler
    z = id(myOutputHandler)
    errorx = setOutputHandler(z)

    getImage = myOcr.GetImage
    img = getImage(x,0)

    getNBImages = myOcr.GetNbImages
    numImg = getNBImages(x)

    processOCR = myOcr.OCR
    myTest = processOCR(img)  ## it will run without this line.

    freeMultipleImage = myOcr.FreeMultipleImg
    freeMultipleImage(x)

    outputFile.close()

This will not run it abends when I try to call the .OCR function.  I
am thinking that it cannot call the procedure to write the file.  Any
ideas?