Database Connectivity

Anna Martelli Ravenscroft anna at aleax.it
Sun Oct 10 15:22:31 EDT 2004

Alex Martelli wrote:

>>      Access, itself, is merely a GUI builder front-end. You are
>>likely using M$ JET as the database engine.
>

> Amen!  People keep making this mistake over and over and over again.
> Access is a product Microsoft sells; Jet is one they give away for free;
> etc, etc -- how CAN it be so hard to distinguish?!

How can it be so hard to distinguish?

Gee - how about - cuz M$ doesn't bother telling you? It *says* M$ Access
- right there on the package and on the computer. It doesn't say M$
Jet... I used M$ Access for years, even took classes in it, did some
pretty kewl stuff with it. Never was Jet mentioned anywhere at anytime.
I found out from a geek buddy by accident one day...

BTW: I just did a google check:

the Product Overview page for M$ Access 2003 doesn't mention Jet once!
http://www.microsoft.com/office/access/prodinfo/overview.mspx

Nor does the Data Access and Storage Developer Center page!
http://msdn.microsoft.com/data/Default.aspx

and it ain't just M$. I found a lovely page called AccesSolutions:
Microsoft Access Database Solutions, with not a single mention of Jet.

In other words, if you didn't already *know*, you're damned unlikely to
find out until some "real" database geek gives you a hard time about not
knowing.

Anna