Eric3 + Qt licensing [was Re: The IDE question]

Diez B. Roggisch deetsNOSPAM at web.de
Mon Oct 18 09:00:58 EDT 2004

> I can believe that, but it was not the issue. The issue is that an
> individual Qt application that is only freely available on Linux
> probably isn't going to be an incentive to change the desktop computer
> infrastructure for the whole company. So in the end it means that the
> application is not going to be used at all, which is a shame in the
> case of a good application.

An assertion that is undeniably true - but for a whole bunch of programs
living in the unix-world, and especially ones with GUIs of any sort, as
running X under Windows is a royal pain in the neck - but so what? As
qt-software has to be gpl on linux too, its free and so I can't make a buck
out of it - so if I decided to write it anyhow, I'm not concerned about
reaching the windows user-base.

--
Regards,

Diez B. Roggisch