File browser cgi in python

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Fri Oct 15 08:45:15 EDT 2004

"Colin J. Williams" <cjw at sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:<wfFbd.27185$hk6.1068163 at news20.bellglobal.com>...

> Dan Stromberg wrote:
> > Are there any reasonably secure file browser implementations for
> > unix/linux (and perhaps MacOS X and Windows as well) written in python,
> > that are accessed over https via a cgi script?
>
> I've been using Konqueror, part of the KDE package, for the last few
> days.  I've had no problems so far.

I imagine that the file browser functionality may be desired on the
server side; that is, the desired implementation will provide file
browsing support to Web-based clients which navigate to a given URL
and are given a view of files or resources. On that front, one might
want to consider various WebDAV implementations which will actually
give a "genuine" file browsing experience with both Konqueror and
other Web/file browser clients.

As far as generic WebDAV support is concerned, the only package for
Python that I've managed to find is this one:

http://webdav.de/

Meanwhile, Zope and its derivatives do export their internal
filesystems/databases using WebDAV, and since WebDAV support within
Web applications mostly seems to involve supporting the various extra
HTTP request methods, it might be possible to just add code for such
methods in order to "enable" existing applications for WebDAV.

Of course, it should be remembered that Apache has always been able to
expose directory contents using fairly simple HTML pages, and there is
also WebDAV support for Apache 2 (at the very least). So it may not be
completely necessary to do this with Python.

Paul