Python Newbie

Byron DesertLinux at netscape.net
Tue Oct 19 11:50:00 EDT 2004

Hi Josh,

I have worked with both PERL and Python over the years.  I first started
out with PERL and thought it was a wonderful language, but found it to
be difficult to develop within.  Here are the reasons why I make the
switch from PERL to Python:

1) Both PERL and Python are powerful languages.  However, Python takes a
couple of days to learn, where as it took me several months to learn
PERL.   (PERL is not a very user-friendly language and tends to be very
similar to C / C++ in style, which are known for being hard for
beginners to acquire.)  However, on the Python side, there are plenty of
FREE documentation (and tutorials) that will teach you Python quickly
and get you up to speed.  One of the best free, online tutorials is:
http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpython/

2) Python code is very easy to read and modify -- PERL is not.  Python
code has been considered to be a language at the "speed of thought"
because fairly new programmers can take a piece of code from an advanced
user, understand what it does, and then make changes to it.  However,
PERL is very different from this.  PERL comes with 101+ ways of
accomplishing a simple task -- thus making program modifications very
difficult to accomplish.  Some people have even said that PERL is a
"read-only" language -- due to the fact that people have a hard time
making changes to other people's programs.

3) Python is a FREE, open source programming language that runs on
multiple platforms.  For example, you can use Python on a Windows-based
PC, Unix, Linux, Solaris, and even the Macintosh.  In other words, when
you write a program in Python, you can easily run it on virtually all
machines out there -- without having to rewrite the code for each
individual machine.

4) Python has a large collection of free, built-in utilities that allow
you to work with a large collection of databases, process data from web
pages, send files though a network connection, download mail from email
servers, perform data backups, etc.  This is one reason why Python is
known as a language that comes with "batteries included."

5) Python is object-oriented, which means that you can accomplish as
much as one can with PERL, yet have the benefits of a language that is
fast and easily to learn.

6) Python code can be integrated with other programming languages and is
sometimes referred to as a "glue" language.  It can be integrated with
Java, C, and others.

7) Many cutting edge companies and organizations are now using Python.
To learn more, visit:  http://www.python.org/community/users.html

Hope this helps,

Byron
---