GPL and Python modules.

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Mon Oct 25 11:46:31 EDT 2004

On 2004-10-25, Peter Otten <__peter__ at web.de> wrote:
> Grant Edwards wrote:
>
>> Let's say I use a GPL'd python module (e.g. something installed
>> in site-packages) in an application.
>
> I'd say everything that uses a GPL'd module is derived work
> and must also be GPL'd. It doesn't matter how you distribute
> it.

So my application code must be GPL'd even if I never distribute
the module?  The mere act of inserting the line

"import someGPLdmodule"

Makes my _source_code_ a derived work, and therefore must be
GPL'd?  That just doesn't sound right.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  TAILFINS!!...click...
                                  at