question on list comprehensions

Frohnhofer, James james.frohnhofer at csfb.com
Thu Oct 14 12:01:12 EDT 2004

I have to admit, I'm still not sure I understand the problem, but is this what
you're trying to do?

res=[[0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9],[2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2],[0,-1,-2,-3,-4,-5,-6,-7,-8,-9]]

where in reality rather than a list of 3 lists of 10 elements, res would be a
list of 2500 lists of 2000 elements each.

>>> map(lambda x: x*x,
      map(lambda tup: reduce(lambda x,y:x+y,tup),
        [
          [res[i][j] for i in range(0,len(res))]
          for j in range(0,len(res[0]))
        ]
      )
    )
[4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4]

If that's what you're trying to do.  I have no idea about whether this is
faster than other methods, although it certainly seems to me to be less clear.
If you stored your data cross-sectionally, it would be much simpler.  (Again,
if this it what you're trying to do.)