OT: Grammatical nitpicks (was Re: python vs c#)

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Mon Oct 4 10:12:46 EDT 2004

In article <415F67E0.8040200 at holdenweb.com>,
Steve Holden  <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:
>Tim Roberts wrote:
>>
>> Second, "their" is allowed as a singular pronoun only in those cases
>> where a gender-specific pronoun is called for, but the gender is
>> unclear or would be sexist.  Instead of "Everyone brought his Python
>> manual," we are now allowed to say "Everyone brought their Python
>> manual."
>>
>> However, in the example that started this, "village" has no gender.
>> Thus, I don't see that "their" is an acceptable alternative to "its"
>> in this case.
>
>Well, as far as I can see (since you've admitted you're in this for
>fun), I agree that the stated use of "their" you mention was primarily
>for reasons of political correctness, to avoid arguments about whether
>"his or her" or "her or his" should be used.

"Their" was in common use as a singular pronoun long before political
correctness existed as a phrase.  Of course, we can also have a long
debate about the misuse of "political correctness"...

>Of course Aahz would doubtless be able to quote the specific genitive
>form of "zhie", a word I have never been able to like, invented for
>much the same reason (and I've probably got the word wrong, since I'm
>definitely not a regular user).

I'm not much of a grammatical analyst, so I don't know what you mean by
"genitive form".  The standard forms that I use are zie, zir, zirs, and
zirself.

>I must admit I didn't find the Cambridge quote at all convincing. And I
>don't mind irritating people ... now there's a nice ambiguity for you!

What meaning are you using for "nice"?  ;-)

PS: I really wish people would change the Subject: line more often; I
almost skipped this thread because I have no interest in C#.  I only
poked my nose in 'cause Alex was posting.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little
statesmen and philosophers and divines."  --Ralph Waldo Emerson